Page banner image

Re: Polar Plunge

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on October 26, 2023 at 05:40:44

In Reply to: Polar Plunge posted by Pete on October 26, 2023 at 00:51:10:

Have done many polar plunges in the past. I live in Maine and have done plunges in the ocean and lake and one river. And yes, it is cold!

So in my experience most people wear regular bathing suits and run into the water, dunk under for a few seconds, and immediately run back out However I have always gone fully clothed including shoes. Normally costumes are encouraged, the crowd loves that. You and Cole may decide to do something as a duo or as separate individuals. Around here there are several polar dips on or around New Years day and benefit Special Olympics - that's the biggest - and also the most expensive. It draws hundreds of participants and raises thousands of dollars. That one is held in the ocean. It costs $100 to participate plus any pledges you raise from family, friends, coworkers and such.

I usually do two smaller ones - one in January, which raises money to help victims of domestic violence, and one in February which benefits a local animal shelter. The one in January has a minimal entry fee of $25. I do not collect pledges. The good thing about that one is you can sign up a half hour before the plunge. It's also smaller with not as many people participating, which I like. This is an ocean plunge. The one in February is at a lake, usually has a $60 entry fee plus any pledges you get. Again, you can sign up last minute if you want just in case you decide not to attend for any reason, such as bad weather.

I personally prefer fresh water plunging to salt water. At the ocean you have the waves to contend with, which can literally knock you off your feet and make it harder to move if you are fully clothed. That keeps you in the cold water longer. Plus you get covered with salt and sand. That doesn't happen at the lake.

What to wear is optional, but I have usually done my cowboy thing and have even worn a tuxedo. One time at the ocean it was raining and I carried an umbrella, which got lots of laughs.

Bring dry clothes to change into, towels, and a blanket or something to wrap up in immediately when you come out of the water. The animal shelter used to provide a hot tub for jumpers, but don't do that anymore. Not every polar dip has changing stations either.

I don't think there is any way to "make it not so bad." You could try taking cold showers or baths. You could go to the venue and swim. Here we have people who swim in the ocean year round. There is a group of women that gp a couple times a week and have gotten so they stay in for five minutes or longer and swear by it. But in my opinion nothing can prepare you for the actual shock. Try not to think about it too much. It's literally a few seconds, in and out. There are tons of videos on line you can watch to get ideas. Basically just have fun. To make it REALLY interesting you and Cole could make a friendly wager to see who can stay in the longest

Oh, one more thing. You and Cole may want to join a group of dippers. You all dress up in similar or identical costumes and do the plunge together. The choices are many and varied. Have fun. Will be anxious to hear about it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]